Vanderbilt University Releases 2019 Crime Statistics Report

Back to Article
Back to Article

Catherine Kvam

On September 30, 2019, the Vanderbilt University Police Department (VUPD) released the Annual Security and Fire Safety Report in accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act. 

The university has released a report to the public every year since 2013, which compiles crime data by location to educate the public on crime policy and crime prevalence in and around Vanderbilt University. 

Locations of crime vary from on-campus, non-campus, student housing, and public property  within university geography. Sources for the report included the Metropolitan Nashville Police Department, the Title IX coordinator, the EEOO Director, and the Associate Provost and Dean of Students.

Most categories of crime such as motor vehicle theft remained consistent, with zero incidences of murder, manslaughter, or arson in the last three years. However, other categories varied from previous years. On-campus liquor law and drug related referral violations decreased from 264 to 196 and 100 to 58, respectively. Incidences of rape in student housing increased from 20 in 2017 to 26 in 2018, and incidences of fondling in student housing increased from one in 2017 to 11 in 2018. 

The full report is available in the link below:

https://police.vanderbilt.edu/pdfs/annual-security-report.pdf