Vanderbilt's First and Only Nonpartisan Political Journal

Vanderbilt Political Review

Vanderbilt Political Review

Vanderbilt Political Review

OP-ED: The Tennessee GOP’s Attack on Vegetables

Image by Open Grid Scheduler / Grid Engine from Flickr

In recent times, the Tennessee GOP’s legislative focus seems fixated not on issues of pressing concern to its citizens, but rather on an unexpected target: vegetables. Yes, you read that correctly. From the perceived threat of vaccine lettuce to the supposed liberal agenda lurking behind green beans in school lunches, it appears that if it is a vegetable, it is fair game for political controversy for some members of the Tennessee Republican Party.

One particularly peculiar bill that has made its way through the Tennessee state legislature classifies any food containing a vaccine or vaccine material as a drug. With the imminent signature of Governor Lee, Tennessee is poised to become a safe haven from the horrors of vaccine lettuce, a fictional threat conjured by political theatrics. It’s worth noting that there are currently no vegetables being sold with human vaccine contents in them, rendering the legislation a solution to a problem that does not actually exist. 

However, this hyperfocus on vegetable-related legislation begs the question: aren’t there more pressing issues facing Tennessee? Surely, the safety and well-being of school children, who find themselves begging the governor to protect them from guns, should take precedence over hypothetical scenarios involving vegetables. Or, the point of view of the hundreds of parents and community members who linked arms in remembrance of the victims of the Covenant School shooting should be heard above the hubris of politicians. Yet, instead of addressing concerns such as gun violence, the Tennessee state legislature persists in its outlandish distractions.

The Republican super majority’s disconnect from the genuine concerns of their constituents is glaringly evident. Despite overwhelming public support for common-sense gun laws—such as safe storage measures, backed by 76% of Tennesseans—the legislature has chosen to prioritize controversial bills like arming teachers, despite significant opposition from parents and educators alike as well as students that organized a walkout on Monday, April 15th.

As the state is faced with a myriad of pressing issues, from education to public safety, the misalignment of legislative priorities is troubling. Instead of engaging in meaningful dialogue and addressing the urgent needs of its citizens, the Tennessee GOP continues to indulge in political theater, perpetuating a cycle of distraction and division that has only grown in tandem with the supermajority. This political theater has led to the legislature having bills to ban chemtrails as well as having members of the GOP fight back against a bill to ban first-cousin marriage.

It is long past the time for our elected officials to refocus their efforts on issues that truly matter to the people they serve, leaving the frivolous battles over vegetables behind in favor of meaningful progress and real solutions. In the midst of the chaos within the Tennessee state legislature, one thing remains certain: at least we are safe from the fictional threat of vaccine lettuce.